The parish church of Laurencekirk (formerly known as Conveth) comes on record in the reign of William the Lion (1165-1214); it was dedicated to St Laurence. A church, erected in 1626, was demolished in 1804 to make way for the present building. At that time, stones, apparently older than the building, were found in the walls. They included stones or a stone on which was carved the figure of a man lying on a gridiron, supposedly representing the martyrdom of St Laurence. Some of the stones were inserted in the walls of the new church (NSA 1845).